Wednesday, March 9, 2011

History of the helmet and improvements towards safety.

Football is by far my favorite sport. It has been for as long as I can remember recieving my first NFL toy. The Jim Plunkett electric football set. At the time I didn't know who Jim Plunkett was but it was one of my favorite past times at the age of 5 years old. The game was a simulated design of a football field that vibrated as long as the switch was turned on. The plastic toy football players would move to the vibration of the electrical motor. That was my introduction to football.

As time we on and I begin to be more interested in the game and the wonders of it's many designs I began to find more things that suit my desire for brutal fun. The local baseball field bcame my field of touchdown dreams. The game was  played without pads and helmets and we had the best fun a kid could ask for. We didn't know that at the time how dangerous it was that we were playing without the equipment, but as I look back now I guess it was worth the risk. Run like Tony Dorsett, or catch like Lynn Swan was a weekly event. We could be whoever we wanted to be for that day. This experience ensure me to believe that children need guidance and a place to be free to play while they grow. 

What was the world's first football helmet?






4 comments:

  1. As a football fan, I agree that these helmets are more dangerous than not wearing helmuts. The NFL is taking action to prevent helmet to helmet hitting but I think they're missing the point. Being that players feel somewhat secure in wearing the helmets, it is a natural response to protect the upper body and of course the ball, by using the head. If the NFL wants to eliminate helmut to helmut hitting, they should stop having the players wear them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At one time there were 12 safety helmet companies for the NFL. Now there are 4, this decrease of makers came about due to the amount of injuries sustained by NFL players per year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The NFL is adopting programs to see that players are taken care of when they retire because Dementia is such a disasterous illness to have to deal with. It has many side effects such as headaches, memory loss, nausea, and depression. This is due to trauma to the head, mostly known as a illness among boxers, but now it is common among football players.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I played football all my life played 3yrs of college football at the divison 2 level. Helmets are very underrated the higher the competition level. I have a friend who plays on the Buffalo Bills name Donald Jones he tells me all the time how thr league is one big fashion show and the athlete's image is more important than there safety.

    ReplyDelete